A recent study has shown that the smell of citrus lifts a woman’s spirits… boys… if you’re paying close attention, this means copious amounts of lemony bath products and perfumes with top notes of lemon like Dior Addict Shine and … Continue reading
Are you dreading the approaching icy grip of winter? Do you feel depressed during the rainy season? Don’t worry, you’re not alone. In fact, there’s a scientific term for it: Seasonal Affected Disorder (SAD). Scientists don’t completely understand this disorder yet, but it’s more common than you’d think.
Basically, the lack of sunlight (especially in the morning), the whack ions in the air and the lack of serotonin in the brain are the main culprits behind SAD and 60% to 90% of people with SAD are women!
After some (not much) research I found that serotonin is a chemical that lifts your mood. Now, we don’t all want to become Prozac addicts, do we? No! So, in order to boost the serotonin levels in your brain we have to do things that we love in order to get through the winter months.
Luckily, winter isn’t all bad. There are tons of things we can do to lift our moods and they don’t cost an arm and a leg:
1. EXERCISE! You’ve paid your gym fees, now go. Stop making excuses. Yes, it is cold, but did you know that exercise not only keeps you fit, but it also keeps colds and flues at bay and it also lifts the serotonin levels in your brain – making you feel happy. Try to go after work, because nobody wants to wake up early on a week day to go to the gym. It’s about being happy in winter after all.
2. HOT CHOCOLATE! For those of you who will be hard at work on your bikini bodies in the dead of winter, don’t worry, the odd hot chocolate here and there won’t make a dent in your routine. In fact, you burn more calories in winter as your body tries to keep itself warm so you are welcome to make up the lost energy in the form of a hot chocolate. Want to be even better? Replace the hot chocolate with chocolate protein powder. Seriously – dit proe blerrie lekker!
3. CHANGE IT UP! Your skin care and beauty routine should change with the seasons. Winter often leaves your skin dryer, so spoil yourself with richer lotions like body butters or oils. Try to go for something with lavender, coco, coconut oil or Ylang-ylang. These scents lift your mood and coconut oil is EXTREMELY good for the skin. Try Hey Gorgeous’ Coconut Souffle or Nuxe body, face and hair oil.
4. SNUGGLE UP! Nothing is better than a snuggling up with your fave flick under a wad of blankets with the heater on. Yeah, yeah Eskom can suck it because I am investing in a gas heater!
5. WARM AND CUTE! I say “Welcome winter. Meet my new wardrobe! Sorry credit card :(” The varsity jacket is a major hit this winter – steal it from the boys and rock it better than they can. Also, having cute mittens and beanies are an instant mood booster. I got these pink mittens 3 or so years ago from Woman Street and they are too cute! I love them. Or try those adaptable mittens where you can unhook the front part so you have use of your fingers. Seriously – lift your mood with a couple of cute items for your cupboard and breeze through the winter.
6. EAT SOUPS! Besides the vitamins, soups are a sure fire way of lifting your mood. You don’t have to slave behind a stove for hours on end either. Try this simple recipe:
a. 2 cans of mixed veggies
b. 1 pack of chopped bacon
c. A cup of water and then add on as much as you’d like.
In a pot fry the bacon until done. Add water and 2 cans of mixed veggies and let it simmer. 10 minutes and you’re done! En dis baie lekker ook!
7. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE COLD WEATHER! In the summer you’re not in the mood to have a bunch of people in a close proximity, sweating and breathing on each other. But winter is excellent fondue weather. Light a couple of candles, invite a few people over and light that fondue. It will warm you up AND you’ll all have a great time.
8. SPICE IT UP! Seriously, hot mulled wine is the best thing under the sun! Also, chilly hot chocolate and cinnamon pancakes go hand in hand with winter. Winter is about spice. Think of it as a delayed Christmas if we had Christmas in the dead of winter. Spiced cookies, spiced teas, spiced drinks… they’re all MUSTS this winter!
I put it to you girls! If you got any other suggestions please put them in the comment box below! What’s your winter survival trick?
When I saw this point of the challenge, it was a no-brainer really. The first name that came to mind was “Anja van der Spuy” from Glitz and Grammar and here’s why…
It’s not very often that someone younger than me inspires me to be a better person and to be true to myself. From following her tweets and her blog I’ve come to learn that it’s OK om jou tale te meng. That’s what being South African is all about… amongst other things of course. It’s OK to be who you are and to blog about what you want.
From meeting her I’ve learned that you should never sit still. Try as many things as possible and try to be GREAT at it. She taught me to look beyond my boxy outlook on life and extend my reach to the impossible. She is such a clever young lady with an incredibly bright future ahead of her. Not only is she super adorable, but she’s so down to earth it will make your head spin.
From reading the Burn Book, I’ve learned that it’s OK to be funny and to say what you want on YOUR blog. Forget about potential brands picking up on your blog… this is your space! I also don’t feel so bad now when I watch Mean Girls for the umpteenth time.
I have been very privileged to have met her and richer in life lessons in doing so.
I hope everyone had a great Christmas. I, for one, have to admit, that the drinking could have definitely been less, but hey… Christmas comes but once a year!
I love my family and I love the craziness that goes hand in hand with Christmas and my family. We all try our best to make the day special. Be it with home made table settings or a really yummy entree – this all ensures that the “wow” factor is pretty much always there.
Christmas eve with Dad was also cool. We went bowling and then we went to Spur for Lupper… that’s Lunch and Supper 🙂 And… I beat Ginger at bowling… whoot!
Anyways… as they say “A picture speaks a 1000 words” and with this… I present to you..
The abundance of Spongebob merch definitely made my brand new Nine Westie even cooler than it is!
Needless to say… the chocolate mousse cake made its second appearance today in the form of pimples on my face. So, this is me…. detoxing my flabby little butt off until the weigh in!
- Recipe- Vegan Double Chocolate Mousse Torte (babyarel.wordpress.com)
- ‘Twas the night before Christmas (cateskitchenadventures.wordpress.com)
- Cake of the Week: Layered Peppermint Cheesecake (youvegottotastethis.myrecipes.com)
- The Daily Meal Lists Our “White Chocolate” Mousse! (vegandivasnyc.wordpress.com)
- It’s beginning to look a lot like … the day after Christmas (bizjournals.com)
- A Little Christmas Poem I Wrote (franniebookham.wordpress.com)
I HATE making resolutions. Actually… I hate the part that comes after Christmas because that’s when my depression flares up. It’s almost like Boxing day sniggers and says “OK Ho… you had your fun… but it’s over now… get your ass in gear for another year” And I’m like “5 more minutes pleasssseee!” But I guess we all have to saddle up for another year of trials and tribulations as well as good times and love.
I’m scaling down the resolutions somewhat. Or should I say generalizing rather than specific (unrealistic) targets.
- Be kinder wherever I am
- Try to be the best at what I do. (This is great coz I’m crazy competitive so if I’m not the best I’ll at least be pretty darn good)
- Accept challenges as learning experiences instead of an uphill battle
- Take care of myself – by this I mean, eating healthier (which I’ve been doing for a while now), getting to bed at a decent time, taking my vitamins and cutting out negativity in my life.
- Being the best Maid of Honour I can be. (I’ve had a hard time with this one, but I’m really trying to give it my all now)
- Have more fun – doing the things I want to do
- Go overseas – to see Muse/Cranberries/Crystal Fighters – seeing as they will never come here.
- Enrich my life through learning new skills and helping others to enrich their lives too.
I’m sure I’ll manage to find some more but in my quest to be a better person and in order for me to achieve the above, I’ve decided to do a vision board and paste words and pictures that represent these points. I am of the opinion that the more you see your goals the more likely you are to achieve them.
Do yourself a favour this year and instead of just writing down your resolutions, try your serial killer hand at cutting out words and pictures out of magazines and making a fun and colorful collage of the things you would like for yourself this year.
- New Year’s Resolution (OK, actually it is a word) (formerlyamishfrequentlycrazy.wordpress.com)
- 6 Social Media Tips To Get the Most Out Of the Holidays (business2community.com)
- Its That Time Of The Year Again (saywhagain.wordpress.com)
- Saying NO to New Year’s Resolutions (tyianasedan.wordpress.com)
- 2014 (imaynotknoweverything.wordpress.com)
I know you must think Hey Gorgeous endorses me, but to be honest, I also buy the products… just like you and my Christmas list has just gotten one special gift richer.
Look at that wrapping!!! Don’t you think it’s just amaze? And for only R200? I love bath milk so this Raspberry and Vanilla bath milk will go down totes well with me.
If you would like to order yours just send your mail to email@example.com and you’ll also stand a chance to win a 30 product hamper!!!
- Spotlight: HEY GORGEOUS (justwingitblog.com)
You know Christmas is almost here when you start seeing Halloween trimmings and knickknacks at The Crazy Store. South Africa is fast becoming one of the bigger consumers of Halloween goodies. Blame it on our weird obsession to Americanize ourselves…
However much I disapprove of the concept of “culture adoption” I have to say that we’ve chosen the funnest parts of different cultures… Hello St Patrick’s day!
I started celebrating Halloween about 5 years ago… After I broke up with my horrible ex boyfriend. It’s been a jol ever since. This year we’re toning it down somewhat but only because I start a new job the very next day…
Here are a few ideas if you want to try a toned down Halloween with very little effort.
Don’t think candles are only for setting the mood. ❤ Think dungeons and dim light… Moehahahaa
Anything I don’t wanna see… Aka Ginger’s beat laboratory… Cover with black bags then stick on some glow in the dark spinnekoppies en insects and you’re good to go!
A really scary movie or two… in my case… ORIGINALS MARATHOOOOOOON!!!
Food and drinks
Simply put… Anything red… Red wine, strawberry daiquiri, red cooldrink… Go nuts. I’ve taken some jelly spider sweets and put them in ice trays filled with red jelly. Refrigerate and use as ice blocks… not sure what the wine is gonna taste like, but it sure as hell’s gonna look creepy!
Some food ideas:
Get the recipe here
Get the recipe here
And of course you can never go wrong with a little bit of GHOST pops and some vampire jelly teeth. And if you need more ideas, read the posts below.
- HAPPY HALLOWEEN! | Halloween safety tips… (thethornegroup.wordpress.com)
- Pumpkin Fun After Halloween (sunshinehospitality.wordpress.com)
- Halloween Snack (designtimesfour.com)
- Halloween tricks and treats for family entertaining (crescent-news.com)
- Halloween Nails!!! (whatsyourbeautybrand.wordpress.com)
- A Monstrous Makeover for Halloween (wgno.com)
- Halloween makeup! (glitterforbreakfastxox.wordpress.com)
- Make Up For Ever Halloween Makeup Tutorials (kraseybeauty.com)